This date and walnut cake is a real teatime treat - moist sponge dotted with dates and walnuts, topped with a creamy frosting. We defy you not to sneak a second slice!
Serving : 6
Prepare : 15 minute
Cook Times: 60 minute
Recipe Yield: 6
Authors: Elizabeth RecipesInstruction:
- 175g (6oz) dates, finely chopped.
- ¾ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
- 60g (2oz) butter, softened.
- 175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar.
- 1 medium egg, beaten.
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour.
- 60g (2oz) walnuts pieces, chopped.
- 125g (4oz) mascarpone or cream cheese.
- 30g (1oz) walnut pieces, roughly chopped.
- 20cm (8in) round cake tin, lined with Bakewell paper.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Put the dates and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and pour over 200ml (7fl oz) boiling water. Leave for 5 mins.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, beat in the egg and then the date mixture, with the water.
- Fold in the flour and walnuts and stir lightly until well mixed. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1-1¼ hours until risen, and a skewer when inserted comes out clean. Leave for 10 mins, then take out of the tin to cool on a wire rack. Spread mascarpone, or cream cheese, over cake and sprinkle with nuts.
Source Recipe from : Date and walnut cake recipe
Date Published: 16-04-2019
Rated 4/239 based on 239 Customer Reviews